Monday, July 31, 2017

Grocery Shopping with Multiples

Shopping is at best an errand, and more likely a chore, but throw in a few children, and it the difficulty level heightens greatly.  There have been times I was so desperate I drove through McDonald's and ordered only milk.  I've also gone to the drive through at Rite Aid and begged them to grab some diapers for me.  Over the years I have picked up a few tips and tricks to make things more manageable.  


1. Grocery Delivery - When this service first made its way to the Capital Region, I did cartwheels. Shop Rite was first, but now certain Hannafords, Price Choppers and even Walmart are following suit.  It takes some time to set it all up, but once you have it all organized online, it's so easy to go through and click what things you use regularly. Some fees may apply, but there are often coupons that they send to offset the cost. Picking up curbside may be cheaper than actual delivery and does save you from having to go into the store.  But even if you do have to incur a fee, it can be totally worth it to get the week's shopping done without dragging the kids through the store.   

2. CSA Share - We are lucky to live in a community that has so many local farms.  I myself have tried Field Goods, as they deliver to my employer. Theirs is paid per week, and you can elect to not do it if it's an off week. Others, like Kristy's Barn you pay up front in the spring, and get fresh produce all summer and fall. You are sharing the risk though, so if it's a bad year, you may not get as much produce.  Often sharing with another family is a good idea if you do a CSA share, as there tends to be a lot of one thing per week.

3. Meal Delivery Plans - There are many - Plated, Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Home Chef. Even Martha Stewart is getting in on this. these aren't the cheapest, but they do offer a convenience. It is cheaper and more nutritious than take out. They often offer trials for a discount, so you could go through and try each one. We did Plated for quite a while. The meals were great, though not so kid friendly, and only meant for 2 people. For those with infants this may not be an issue, and may help you save some time.  A few of the companies allow for opting for more than 2 servings.  You can also buy extra and stretch them, but then you lose some of the convenience factor, and may actually have to set foot in the grocery store.  

4. Amazon Prime - Good old Amazon - What would I do without you?  I used to religiously order through Soap.com for diapers and paper towels, but then Amazon gobbled them up. Prime Pantry is a wonderful way to stay out of the middle aisles of the grocery store.  Bonus, I can often get stuff that doesn't grace the shelves of my local grocery store.  Gluten Free Thin Mints - yes please! 

5.  School lunch - Hear me out.  I know your kid probably doesn't eat anything and thinks school lunches are gross.  If you are one of those moms who is cutting grapes in half for your Kindergartners' Bento lunch box, more power to you.  I do find though that using the school lunch option keeps me out of the grocery store.  No bread? Fine, tomorrow is pizza day, you're buying lunch.  I do find it's cheaper as well.  Government cheese is heavily subsidized.  My grocery cart is not.   



There will of course be those occasions where you can't wait 24 hours for delivery and have to break down and bring the brood to the grocery store.  For those with infants, Use what you've got.  If you have to use your stroller, so it. If it's a big shop, push the stroller, pull the cart. If you have a front pack, put one baby in the infant seat cart, and wear the other.  My twins loved this arrangement when they were about 8 months old, as they could see each other and make faces. For toddlers, the car cart is good, if they stay in it. I've had better luck with the big double carts a la Target. I would often opt for Target over a grocery store just because there was a much better shot of having the double kid carts available.  (You want side eye from me, take one of those babies at any given store, and have you 8 and 5 year olds walk next to it.)  Or if you can swing it, wait till the kids are in bed.  Hannaford is a very peaceful place at 10pm on a Friday night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Classroom Separation Anxiety

  When you have twins, there are a number of parenting questions and challenges that come up that the singleton mom never has to face.  (A s...

Our Most Popular Posts